Between Elsa, Anna and Harry Potter, you may not need any more reasons to plan a family vacation to Orlando, but guess what, I’ve got 10 great reasons, including new hotel openings, attractions, even a new sports team. Take a look at 10 reasons to start thinking about a trip to Orlando this summer:
1. The New LEGOLAND Hotel Will Open in May. Yes, the much-anticipated resort adjacent to LEGOLAND Florida is slated to open on May 15. Look for LEGO-themed rooms (kingdom, pirate and adventure), as well as early park access and nightly children’s entertainment when you stay at the hotel.
2. Your Kids Can Unleash Their Creativity at Crayola Experience. This summer, Crayola will open up its second Crayola Experience (formerly The Crayola Factory) in Orlando. Look for 25 hands-on attractions, like Wrap it Up, which enables kids to make their own personalized crayon labels.
3. You Can Take a Spin on the Orlando Eye. Yes, Orlando is getting its very own Ferris wheel, The Orlando Eye. Scheduled to open on May 4, look for fantastic views of the city from the top of this 400-foot observation wheel during your 30-minute ride. Tickets include entry to the 4D Cinema Experience.
4. Downtown Disney Will Transform Into Disney Springs. Throughout 2015, Downtown Disney is expected to double in size, expanding from 75 to more than 150 places to eat (including new food trucks), shop and be entertained. In doing so, the complex will change its name to Disney Springs.
5. Major League Soccer is Coming to Orlando. Set to play their home opener on March 8, the Orlando City Soccer Club is the 21st Major League Soccer franchise. Games will be played through October in the Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium, which recently completed a $200 million renovation.
6. You Can Create Moving Photos at Shutterbutton’s. Harry Potter fans, Universal Orlando Resort recently opened Shutterbutton’s, a studio in Diagon Alley that enables guests to make moving photographs. Have photos taken against 12 iconic backdrops and go home with a DVD photo album.
7. New Bungalows Will Open at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. Twenty over-water bungalows that will sleep up to eight guests each will begin to roll out at Disney’s Polynesian. Designated for Disney Vacation Club members, the bungalows will be available to resort guests when not in use by Club Members.
8. The New I-Drive 360 Entertainment Complex Will Open in May. The new I-Drive 360 entertainment destination is set to open up in early-May. Home to The Orlando Eye, I-Drive 360 will also feature Madame Tussauds and a SEA LIFE Aquarium along with various shops and restaurants.
9. You Can Enjoy More Healthy Food Options. Yes, you can eat healthy when visiting the parks in Orlando. Head to Hard Rock Café Orlando at Universal Studios for healthy fare and the Hard Rock Roxstars. Or, check out The Disney Food Blog for the latest updates on healthy eateries at Walt Disney World parks.
10. Escapology Will Open its First U.S. Location in Orlando. Hunt for clues, solve puzzles, even work together as a team to escape from a game room at Escapology. Choose from several themed experiences, such as Arizona Shootout, in which players have one hour to complete tasks and escape a saloon.
For more fun in Orlando, make sure to check out my post: 20 Free Things to Do with Kids in Orlando. Harry Potter fans will also like 15 Ways to Have the Best Day at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Photo Credit: Karen Roe