Summer is one of the best times to visit the zoo. They are open for longer hours, they usually offer summer deals, and the weather is nice for walking around and enjoying it all. Zoos are also a great family activity because they are fun while also being educational.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 zoos to visit this summer:
1. National Zoo – There’s always a good reason to go to the National Zoo in DC, but this summer you will get the chance to see the new baby panda before he gets much older. The cub, Bei Bei, is available in the panda viewing house starting at 9 am daily, but whether you see him roaming around depends on the panda’s mood and the weather. They also have fun panda cams that allow you to see the pandas at any time.
2. Tulsa Zoo – When you visit the Tulsa Zoo in Oklahoma this summer, you’ll have the opportunity to see their latest addition: a baby jaguar cub! The cub was born in collaboration with the Jaguar Species Survival Plan.
3. Bronx Zoo – If you want to see a lot of young animals, a trip to the Bronx Zoo may be just what you need! Several baby animals have recently been welcomed to the Bronx Zoo in New York. A baby American porcupine can be found at the Children’s Zoo, while you will be able to find a crane chick at the Northern Ponds. There are five western lowland gorillas who are all under the age of two at Bronx Zoo’s Congo Gorilla Forest.
4. Houston Zoo – If you love marine animals, you may want to visit the Houston Zoo in Texas. The zoo welcomed a baby California sea lion this past June. The pup, who is the first to be born at the zoo since 1994, is very active and loves to explore.
5. San Diego Zoo – Is seeing a baby koala on your to-do list? If so, it’s a great time to visit the San Diego Zoo, where a baby koala was born this past November. It finally came out of its mother’s pouch and made its first appearance this past June!
6. Como Park Zoo – If you visit Como Park Zoo in St. Paul, Minnesota, you will get to view their newest addition – a baby zebra! The zebra, which was born on July 5th can be seen between the hours of 10 am and 6 pm in the Zebra and Kudu Exhibit. Proceeds will benefit the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory.
7. Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium – This Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, Washington has plenty of animals to check out any time, but this summer there’s a new cute addition! Two Nigerian dwarf goats were recently born.
8. Montgomery Zoo – If you always loved the game hungry, hungry hippos, you may want to check out the Montgomery Zoo in Montgomery, Alabama. A male pygmy hippo was just born. Grab your cameras, because he is a record breaker: the baby hippo is the first male pygmy hippo to be born in a zoo.
9. Milwaukee County Zoo – The Milwaukee County Zoo in Wisconsin can make for a great trip this summer with two new additions! A male harbor seal pup was recently born. Like most seals, he was born with the ability to swim. A baby bonobo was also born this past spring.
10. Dallas Zoo – If you love monkeys, now is a great time to check out the Dallas Zoo in Texas. A baby colobus monkey was born to the Primate Place this past June. Catch it before it grows up. The zoo says its pink face will slowly turn black, and its white fur will transition to black and white.
With so many baby animals being born throughout the country this past spring and summer, now is a better time than ever to plan that trip to the zoo you’ve been meaning to take!