Living in the Washington, DC area, I don’t make it out to the west coast as often as I would like. There are so many great places to take kids, like Seattle and San Diego. I like Lake Tahoe, in particular, given the range of family-friendly outdoor activities. Take a look at five of the best things to do with kids on a visit to Lake Tahoe, according to TahoesBest.com:
1. Hiking. You’ll find many hiking trails in the Lake Tahoe area. Tahoe Wilderness Adventures, a local outdoor outfitter, even offers guided hikes to show off some of the gorgeous views of Lake Tahoe. Guides can tell you all about native plants you see along the way, rock formations and local history.
2. Ice Skating. Believe it or not, even in the summer you can channel your inner Gracie Gold at the South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena. Look for daily public skating sessions, which offer a great way to cool off after days spent hiking and biking.
3. Horseback Riding. Get in some trail riding for a new way to explore the Lake Tahoe area. Check in with Sheridan Creek Equestrian Center for trail rides and horseback riding lessons. Be sure to bring along a camera and listen carefully to your guide to ensure your safety as well as the safety of your horse.
4. Whitewater Rafting. For a true adventure, whitewater rafting is an absolute must. Look to Lake Tahoe-based rafting companies that can take you out onto the Truckee River or American River for an afternoon of family rafting. Wear a life jacket and check in on the minimum age of those who can raft.
5. Fishing. I took my daughter fishing for the first time last year and she had an absolute ball. Toss a line into Lake Tahoe or go out on a fishing charter boat for an entirely different experience. Charters often bring poles, bait and snacks, even take you out to the good spots to fish, so you just hop on board and drop your line when the time is right.
If you’ve been to Lake Tahoe, let me know in the comments section below some of your favorite things to do in the area.