There’s a lot to love about San Diego. The weather is lovely nearly year-round, there are plenty of family-friendly beaches, and now, kids get in free at more than 100 museums, attractions and animal parks throughout the month of October.
If you’ve been considering a San Diego getaway, now is the time to make it happen. Not long ago, I shared 20 Free Things to Do with Kids in San Diego, including strolling the Gaslamp Quarter and exploring tide pools at Cabrillo National Monument, but during the month of October, there’s so much more to enjoy for free with kids. Take a look at 10 of the very best free deals for kids in San Diego in October.
1. Ride the Pacific Surfliner. Children ages 2-12 ride free on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner with each paid adult when traveling round-trip between Oceanside, San Diego, Solana Beach and/or San Diego Old Town.
3. Take Surf Lessons in La Jolla. Get ready to surf the waves at Surf Diva La Jolla. In October, get a free child surf lesson for each paid surf lesson (whether for an adult or a child).
4. Take a Helicopter Ride. Enjoy a 30-minute helicopter tour over San Diego for a bird’s eye view of Coronado Bridge, La Jolla Cove and more with Corporate Helicopters. One free child per paying adult (min. two adults).
5. Become a Master Builder at LEGOLAND. Use promo code 15025 between Sept. 8 and Oct. 31 to get one free child hopper ticket for every paid adult hopper ticket to both LEGOLAND and SEA LIFE Aquarium.
6. Go on a Whale Watching Cruise. Head up to Newport Beach for a 2.5 hour whale watching cruise. Simply mention “Kids Free San Diego” when reserving tickets with Newport Landing Whale Watching to get one free child ticket (ages 17 and under).
7. Take a Sightseeing Trolley Tour. Get one free child ticket with every paid adult ticket when you book a hop-on, hop-off sightseeing tour with Old Town Trolley Tours of San Diego.
8. Explore the Children’s Discovery Museum. Spend time exploring, learning and having fun at the San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum. Get one free child entry (up to age 12) with each paid adult entry.
9. Take the Kids to the Zoo. One of the most popular zoos in the country, the San Diego Zoo, offers one of the best deals during October. For every paid adult, there is no limit on the number of free children.
10. Enjoy a Harbor Cruise. Kids cruise for free on one- and two-hour daily harbor cruise with Hornblower Cruises. Use promo code KIDSFREE when booking tickets online. Two kids can cruise free with every paid adult ticket.
Beyond the free deals above, kids can also receive free entry to more than 40 museums courtesy of the San Diego Museum Council, including the San Diego Museum of art and the San Diego Air & Space Museum.
If you’re planning to book a hotel while in San Diego, look for lots of deals valid throughout October that enable kids to stay and eat free. Participating hotels include Paradise Point Resort & Spa (book using promo code POCTFR), Hampton Inn San Diego Mission Valley and Loews Coronado Bay Resort, among others.