If you’re looking to take a fun beach vacation the whole family can enjoy, you may have considered the Outer Banks in North Carolina. With plenty of fun things to do and see, the area can make a great vacation spot for families.
Here are eight reasons why your kids will love North Carolina’s Outer Banks:
1. See the history of flight. There is a Wright Brothers National Memorial here on top of a giant hill, giving you a breathtaking view. You can tour the facility, take photos in front of the monument, and learn all about the birth of flight.
2. Watch the wild mustangs roam the beaches. The iconic Corolla Wild Spanish mustangs have been on the shores of Corolla to Carova for more than 500 year ago when they were abandoned by explorers. Your kids will love to see them roaming free.
3. Take family bike rides. With plenty of multi-use bike paths available throughout the area, there are plenty of places for your family to take a leisurely bike ride together. The climate conditions in the Outer Banks make bike riding a nice activity since there is always a breeze with winds ranging from 5-15 mph.
4. Visit the lighthouses. Dating back to over 200 years ago, lighthouses have lined the coast of the Outer Banks, lighting the way for sea travelers and mariners. The lighthouses in the area include Currituck Beach Lighthouse, Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, Bodie Island Lighthouse, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and Ocracoke Island Lighthouse. As they all look very different, visiting each lighthouse will provide you and your kids with a unique experience. Why not visit them all for comparison’s sake?
5. Go crabbing. If your kids have never been crabbing before, it can make for a new adventure. The Outer Banks is well-known for its huge supply of Blue Crabs. You can crab from just about any waterfront dock at any time of day. Do keep in mind that you may need to get a North Carolina Fishing License in order to legally crab. You can purchase one online before your vacation.
6. Swim in the ocean. Most kids love swimming, and while it’s true you can swim most anywhere, there are some advantages to the Outer Banks you won’t find just anywhere. All beaches are open to the public, so you will not need to worry about paying a fee to get on the beach like you do in some places. The water also tends to be clearer than it is on many beaches, which your kids are sure to enjoy.
7. Build sandcastles on the beach. In the Outer Banks, you’ll find stretches of sand that make for the perfect place for your kids to build sandcastles and dig in the sand.
8. Visit the aquarium. The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is home to sea turtles, sharks, and various other marine life that your kids will bound to love seeing.
These are just a few reasons why your kids will love NC’s Outer Banks. There is so much to see and do, which is why it brings thousands of people worldwide each year to explore.