I love it when hotels and resorts offer fun and unique experiences for kids beyond your basic tennis and horseback riding lessons. Take a look at five must-try classes kids can take while on vacation whether they want to learn to navigate a surfboard or master mealtime social skills.
1. Swim Like a Mermaid. At Hawks Cay Resort in the Florida Keys, girls and boys can sign up for a one-hour session to learn to swim like a mermaid (or merman), complete with a mermaid tail or shark fin. The session, which will be put on by the Orlando-based Mermaid Academy, will be offered over Thanksgiving weekend (11/29) and then again during the winter holiday break (12/26, 12/27, 1/2 and 1/3).
2. Navigate a Sailboat. Recently, Beaches Negril and Beaches Ocho Rios in Jamaica, as well as Beaches Turks & Caicos, added four-day sailing camps for kids ages eight to 14. Children attending the American Sailing Association-certified Sailing Fun classes will get a healthy dose of nautical knowledge while learning to navigate the clear Caribbean waters. They’ll also receive a completion certificate.
3. Ride the Ocean Waves. At the Boca Beach Club in Boca Raton, FL, kids (and adults) can sign up for Surf School to learn to ride the waves as part of a group class or a private lesson. Try out the FlowRider wave simulator before taking your board out to the ocean to hone your skills.
4. Master Social Etiquette. Earlier this fall, Jumeirah Carlton Tower in London debuted Etiquette Workshops for Kids. In September and October, children participating in the workshops learned about social etiquette, nutrition, dining skills, building positive relationships and how to navigate social situations. Look for additional workshops later on this year.
5. Become a Junior Pizza Chef. At the Waldorf Astoria Naples in Naples, FL, look for pizza-making classes on Saturday mornings. The cost is $29 per junior chef and each one will receive a chef’s hat and an embroidered Waldorf Astoria Naples apron to take home at the end of the class. Pizzas made during the class are often served at the Aura Restaurant inside the hotel.
Photo Credit: Hawks Cay Resort