Multi-generational vacations are more popular than ever. Last summer, we spent three weeks in Ireland with my in-laws as part of a home exchange. It was great that my kids could spend more time with their grandparents and it was helpful to have an extra set of hands (and two extra drivers) during our vacation. If you’re thinking about a multi-generational vacation, here are five of the best resorts to stay:
1. Beaches Turks & Caicos. The new Key West Luxury Village section of Beaches Turks & Caicos is ideal for multi-generational vacations. In this section of the resort, there are eight villas with three and four bedrooms, as well as private pools. The villas are just steps from the beach too and feel more like private homes. The all-inclusive has 19 restaurants scattered across the property so you can eat all together or split up and eat on your own. One of my faves is Neptunes (the views are spectacular).
2. Grand Residences Riviera Cancun. Look for three and four bedroom ocean view and beach front suites at the Grand Residences Riviera Cancun. Perfect for families, each residence is divided up into individual suites with independent entrances. Little ones will love making piñatas and going on treasure hunts at the Kids Club, while the whole family can enjoy “life-changing activities,” such as Mexican cooking classes, Mayan studies, nature programs and volunteer opportunities in Puerto Morelos.
3. Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort. For those who want to stay stateside, look to the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort in Lake Placid, NY. The resort offers a number of family suites and kitchenettes that sleep up to nine people, as well as Camp Sunny Cove, a home rental with seven bedrooms. Enjoy swimming, fishing and boating on Lake Placid, as well as tours and experiences at the nearby Olympic Village that let you re-live events from the 1932 and 1980 Olympic Games.
4. The Tryall Club. At The Tryall Club near Montego Bay, Jamaica, families can choose from 75 private estate villas that range in size from two-bedroom cottages to nine-bedroom homes with up to 15,000 square feet of living space. You’ll find private pools, lush gardens and golf carts to get family members around the grounds. As a bonus, villas come staffed with personal chefs and housekeepers. During your stay, enjoy island tours, catamaran cruises, ziplines, even a top-notch Kids Club.
5. Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort. Located in Solvang, CA, Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort has much to offer families, including horseback riding (even a morning breakfast ride complete with a campfire and cowboy singing), archery, nature walks, guided mountain biking and a Family Bingo Night. With so much for every family member you can be as busy or as relaxed as you please. Kids will love the Kiddie Korral and Lil Wranglers programs, as well as daily egg gathering and chicken feeding at the Barn Yard.