I had high hopes when I put together my 2015 Bucket List. I dreamt big (maybe a little too big), but I didn’t put any action plans into place to achieve any of the 25 travel experiences on my list. So, it didn’t come as much surprise to me that I crossed off just five items on my list. Pretty sad.
Still, the kids and I did manage to cross off some pretty cool things in 2015, like exploring a wild west town (Dodge City, KS), going to a rodeo and taking off on a cross-country road trip. Yet, we didn’t even make it to the top of the Washington Monument, which is 30 minutes from our house.
This year, I put together another list for 2016, but my must-do experiences are a better mix of attainable local experiences and reach activities that require a little more planning with four kids. So here you go, here’s my 2016 bucket list (here’s hoping I cross off more than five items this year).
1. See the puffins in Maine.
2. Take a helicopter tour (did this while in Niagara Falls in September).
3. Try stand-up paddleboarding.
4. Go to the top of the Washington Monument.
5. Visit Punxsutawney, PA (home of the country’s most famous groundhog).
6. Run a half-marathon in five different states (so close, I did four: KY, OH, ME and NV). ** I was also booked to run the Minneapolis Half Marathon in June, but it was cancelled at the last-minute. 🙁
7. Try snowboarding.
8. Do the National Treasure Tour at Mount Vernon.
9. Take the kids snorkeling.
10. Go on a Maid of the Mist boat ride at Niagara Falls (also did this while in Niagara Falls in September).
11. See the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree.
12. Go to a drive-in movie theatre.
13. Stay at the LEGOLAND Hotel in Orlando.
14. Go on a mileage run.
15. Rent and travel in an RV.
17. Go whale watching (did this in Virginia Beach in February).
18. Stay at a Club Med.
19. Go tent camping.
20. Do a night sky stargazing program.
21. Go whitewater rafting in West Virginia.
22. See the wild ponies at Assateague State Park in Maryland.
23. Go to the Neon Museum in Las Vegas. ** Is it sad that I was in Las Vegas twice this year and both times I wait too late too book a tour (e.g., it was sold out both times)?
24. See the Radio City Christmas Spectacular starring the Rockettes.
25. Go on a walking food tour.
Of course, there are many other places I’d like to go and things I’d like to do, but for 2016 I wanted to dial it back and actually reach some fun travel goals. I may get more ambitious in 2017, but let’s first see how well I do this year!
Do you have any travel goals or bucket list adventures you hope to cross off in 2016? Let me know in the comments section below. Good luck!
Photo Credit: nebirdsplus