I go to South Florida at least once a year and am a very big fan of Miami. There’s so much to do as a family, including eco-focused and cultural activities, as well as a fantastic selection of family-friendly properties, like Trump International Beach Resort and The Palms Hotel & Spa, both of which are Preferred Family hotels. Here are ten of my favorite things for kids to do in Miami:
1. Get a Taste of Miami. Introduce your kids to the foods of Miami as part of a food tour with Miami Culinary Tours. There are several to choose from, like the Art Deco Breakfast Tour, which makes four stops in South Beach, introducing participants to such local fare as vaca frita and pastelitos.
2. Have an Enviro-Adventure. At the Trump International Beach Resort in Sunny Isles Beach, kids can take part in Planet Kids, a daily kids club that teaches kids about the environment. Kids learn about ocean ecosystems and how sand is formed. They will also collect beach items for arts and crafts.
3. Explore Sea Life. From dolphin shows to underwater reef encounters, there’s so much to do at the Miami Seaquarium. You could easily spend an entire day there learning about sea creatures. Before you go, print out the coloring pages and activity sheets for your kids.
4. Go on a Safari. Learn about wild animals, like parrots, red kangaroos, South African penguins and orangutans, at Jungle Island. Enjoy various animal encounters and bring your swimsuits to spend time at La Playa, the private beach at Jungle Island. You’ll also find a large playground and petting farm.
5. Explore the Everglades. No trip to Florida is complete without a trip to Everglades National Park. Last year, my daughters and I took an airboat ride that got us up close with alligators and other local wildlife. You can also explore the Everglades on a tram tour or even a Swamp Buggy.
6. Learn About Locally-Grown Foods. At The Palms Hotel & Spa, children can enjoy a weekly chef-guided private tour and tasting in the Chef’s Organic Garden at the on-site Essensia Restaurant. This is a fun way to learn about organic gardening and the farm-to-table mission in Miami Beach.
7. Enjoy Cuban Music and Artwork. Head to Little Havana just west of downtown Miami to check out colorful murals, Latin American art and monuments of Cuban freedom fighters. Try a guided Bike and Food Tour to sample Cuban flavors and learn about local culture and history.
8. Go on a Guided Beach Walk. Take a guided beach walk as part of the Sea Turtle Awareness Program. Learn about loggerhead sea turtles (like Squirt from Finding Nemo) and how to protect them. You can also see the release of sea turtle hatchlings between July and September.
9. Play on the Beach. Of course, a day at the beach is a must in Miami. Among the best for families are Matheson Hammock Park Beach in South Miami and Oleta River State Park in North Miami Beach. Both offer soft sands, picnic tables and calm waters. Don’t forget to bring buckets and shovels.
10. Walk Along the Boardwalk. Spend some time people-watching along the beach by walking the nearly two-mile Miami Beach Boardwalk, which runs from South Point Park to North Beach. You’ll find plenty of boutiques, cafes and art deco style buildings to explore as you stroll along the boardwalk.
When you stay at Preferred Family hotel properties, like Trump International Beach Resort in Sunny Isles Beach and The Palms Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach, you know that you are staying at hotels that offer the best of the best for families. Among the many amenities you may find at these properties are playgrounds, children’s dining options, swimming lessons, even cooking lessons.
Go to PreferredFamily.com to find a collection of more than 260 Preferred Family Certified properties, which are luxury independent hotels that go above and beyond to offer the most fantastic experiences for families. All certified properties meet standards based on age-specific offerings in five categories, including hotel amenities, facilities, programs, services and entertainment.
When you book a stay at select Preferred Family properties you can now earn loyalty points through the free iPrefer guest loyalty rewards program from Preferred Hotel Group. The loyalty program is very flexible and you enjoy benefits, like complimentary wi-fi access and priority check-in / late check-out, on your very first stay, at all membership levels. You can also earning dining and spa rewards, as well as free nights. In addition, as an iPrefer member, you always enjoy exclusive hotel offers, such as hotel credits, complimentary valet parking and percent-off deals.
Preferred Family and iPrefer are exclusive programs of the Preferred Hotel Group, which prides itself on its beautiful collection of more than 650 properties situated around the world. Whether you want to stay on the beach, in the mountains or in the heart of some of the most popular cities in the world, you’ll find a wide selection of hotels and resorts within Preferred Hotel Group.
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Preferred Hotel Group for this post. However, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.