Over the summer, my daughter, Clare (age 11), and I spent the day at SeaWorld Orlando. We visited the park three years ago with the rest of the family, and while I remembered the Shamu show, there wasn’t that much that stood out to me. This time, and I think it helped that it was just me and Clare, we were able to have more of an experience, rather than a day trip to a theme park.
Take a look at the 10 best things to do at SeaWorld Orlando. Need park tickets? Buy them online before you go to avoid the lines when you arrive (always a good idea).
1. Feed the Sea Lions. Head to Pacific Point Preserve inside the park to visit with the sea lions. You can either stop by during designated feeding times or spend a few dollars to purchase some fish on-site to feed them yourselves. Note that these guys can get pretty loud when they see you holding a fish or two.
2. Take a Selfie with a Penguin. As part of the Penguins Up-Close Tour (an extra fee applies), you’ll learn all about the different species of penguins that call SeaWorld Orlando their home. You’ll even have the opportunity to pose with a penguin (Clare posed with Leon). Who wouldn’t want a penguin selfie?
3. Try a Behind-the-Scenes Tour. SeaWorld Orlando offers multiple behind-the-scenes tours at the park. Sure, it’s an extra fee, but learning about the work SeaWorld does to rescue and rehabilitate manatees and sea turtles was worth it. We even got to watch a keeper bottle feed a rescued baby manatee.
4. Guide Baby Turtles to Safety at TurtleTrek. Learn all about sea turtles in TurtleTrek’s 3D 360° theatre, then grab a controller and play the interactive “Race to the Beach” game as you exit the theatre. Experience a baby sea turtle’s journey first-hand, even embark on your own sea turtle rescue mission.
5. Settle in for the Pets Ahoy Show. Head to the Seaport Theatre for the highly-enjoyable Pets Ahoy live show. You and your kids will be engaged and laughing the entire time as dogs, cats, parrots, pigs, donkeys and more perform funny tricks and steal the show. A definite must-see.
6. Spend Time with the Sea to Shore Art. SeaWorld worked with non-profit group, Washed Ashore, to create and display sea life-themed works of art made entirely from garbage washed up on shores, like tires, sand toys, plastic bags and more. The artworks highlight the importance of protecting our oceans.
7. Give a High Five to a Stingray. I do love a good Stingray Lagoon and you’ll find more than 200 stingrays at SeaWorld. We love it when they put their fins up as they pass by as if to ask for a “high five” as they pass in the water. In the nearby nursery, look for newborn stingrays hiding under the sand.
8. Eat Lunch or Dinner Underwater. Head to Sharks Underwater Grill for delicious entrees like Grilled Mahi Mahi and Tempura Shrimp. Keep your eyes open as sharks, sea turtles and all types of tropical fish swim past your table in a huge tank that allows you to peer into the world of the park’s sea creatures.
9. Ride the Manta Roller Coaster. Take a ride on the Manta, a flying roller coaster that lets you experience what it’s like to be a giant ray. If roller coasters are too much for you, explore the adjacent Manta Aquarium, which features a pop-up window that puts you inside the underwater action.
10. Go to the Top of the Sky Tower. On a clear day, it’s worth a relaxing ride to the top of the 400-foot Sky Tower. Enjoy the views of SeaWorld and much of Orlando from the top of the tower. Relax and enjoy the ride before further exploring the shows, rides and attractions at the park.
Avoid the lines. Get your SeaWorld Orlando park tickets online ahead of time. Check the latest prices for single and multi day tickets. Have fun and enjoy all of the best things to do at SeaWorld Orlando.
Disclaimer: My daughter and I were guests of SeaWorld Orlando. However, all opinions expressed here are my own.