Whether you’re headed to Orlando for the first time or piggybacking off of a conference and adding time to have fun with your family, there are so many options for making a great vacation out of your time in Orlando. Of course there’s Walt Disney World, but what else is there to do with kids? Here are 10 fun things to do in Orlando with kids.
1. Disney. Okay, we still have to start with Walt Disney World because it’s huge. There are multiple parks, loads of places to stay and entertainment that can keep you busy from morning until night. Preschoolers will love Magic Kingdom (here’s a perfect itinerary just for them). If you have more time and kids of a variety of ages, buy discounted Park Hopper Tickets from Best of Orlando and visit multiple Disney parks.
2. Crayola Experience. The new Crayola Experience is an awesome hands-on attraction with over 25 things to do to show your creativity. They have a great variety of options for kids and adults of all ages. You can even experience the magic of color by turning drawings into 4D art. Or, create and name your own crayons.
3. American Girl. Another fun option is the American Girl Store. Check out all the dolls, dine on-site (complete with chairs for dolls) or even let your doll enjoy a makeover at the salon. Costco members, look for American Girl gift cards. They’re often on sale at $80 for two $50 gift cards. What a great savings.
4. Gator Tour. Whether you choose airboats or plain swamp tours, let your adventurous side come out and see the natural flora, fauna and wild of Florida. The gator tours can be done in nature or you can find one of the many mini zoos that operate in and around Orlando. One to try is Spirit of the Swamp Airboat Tours.
5. Kennedy Space Center. While the Kennedy Space Center technically isn’t Orlando, it is an easy day trip from Orlando (it’s less than 90 minutes to Titusville). This takes you to the Space Coast where you can learn all about astronauts, Cape Canaveral and also explore space in the various tours they offer on-site. You can even have lunch with an astronaut.
6. Universal Orlando. Like Disney, Universal Orlando is a destination itself, with two theme parks: Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure (get deeply discounted tickets from Best of Orlando). You’ll also find on-site hotels and a nighttime entertainment complex called Universal CityWalk Orlando to keep the fun going after the parks close. Read all about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter here.
7. SeaWorld. While there are SeaWorld options sprinkled throughout the U.S., the fact is SeaWorld Orlando is much more than an aquarium. Complete with rides, shows, and restaurants, there are plenty of things to do at SeaWorld over a day or three while visiting Orlando. Take time to feed the sea lions and watch the live Pets Ahoy show.
8. Wet ‘n Wild. Visit America’s first waterpark when you’re in Orlando, Wet ‘n Wild. Look for loads of slides, raft rides, a lazy river, even a massive wave pool. And, of course, it’s a must to spend time with the kids at Blastaway Beach, which has a six-story castle, two pools, 15 waterslides and 160+ interactive water features.
9. Outlet Shopping. When you need a break from theme parks, it’s time to go shopping at Orlando’s three outlet malls. First, head to the 700,000 square foot Orlando Premium Outlets. Then, don’t miss Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores, which boasts more than 60 shops. Finally, check out the second Orlando Premium Outlets on Vineland Avenue. You’ll find fewer shops at this location, but it’s more high-end.
10. Kayak Tour. Take a kayak tour to enjoy the outdoors in Orlando. There are lots of options, like a gentle water tour, a manatee tour or even a bird lover’s tour. As a bonus, the weather is fantastic so much of the year in Orlando that you can get out into a kayak pretty much any month of the year. Check out A Day Away Kayak Tours.
What are your favorite things to do in Orlando with kids?